The Four Day Summit Climb September 8 - 11, 2016 were unable to reach the summit of Mt. Rainier this morning due to windy conditions. RMI Guides Billy Nugent and Katrina Bloemsma made the decision to turn their teams around at 13,700' as the extremely high winds made it unsafe for the groups to continue. They began their descent from their high point at 7:30 am en route to Camp Muir. After they rest and repack they will continue to Paradise and be transferred to Rainier Base Camp.
The Five Day Summit Climb led by RMI Guide Christina Dale reached the summit of Mt. Rainier this morning. Christina reported cold temperatures and windy conditions on the summit. The team began their descent to Camp Muir shortly after 8:00 a.m. PDT. The Five Day Summit Climb team will spend one more night at Camp Muir before returning to Ashford tomorrow afternoon.
Way to climb!
The Four Day Summit Climb team, led by Seth Waterfall and Katrina Bloemsma, reached the top of Mt. Rainier early this morning. Seth reported clear skies and moderate winds from the west.
After a successful summit yesterday, Ben Liken and the Expedition Skills Seminar - Emmons will return to Rainier Basecamp this afternoon.
RMI Guides Katrina Bloemsma and Steve Gately led their teams to the summit of Mt. Rainier this morning. The weather report from the top was calm, sunny, and warming up quickly. At 7:15 a.m. they began their descent from the crater rim.
Congratulations to the teams!
The Four Day Summit Climb led by RMI Guides Seth Waterfall, Christina Dale, and Katrina Bloemsma reached the summit of Mt. Rainier just before 7:00 a.m. PDT. Katrina reported clear, breezy skies above Disappointment Cleaver. The teams will spend some time celebrating on the summit before beginning their descent. We look forward to seeing them in Ashford this afternoon.
The Four Day Summit Climb led by RMI Guides Seth Waterfall and Katrina Bloemsma was unable to reach the summit of Mt. Rainier this morning. Due to overnight rain the team was unable to leave Camp Muir for their summit attempt. The weather improved enough this morning for the team to climb up to Ingraham Flats at 11,200' to climb a bit and experience the upper slopes of Mt. Rainier. The team left Camp Muir at 10:45 a.m. to make their descent back to Paradise. We look forward to seeing them in Ashford early this afternoon.
June 18, 2016 - 7:18 pm PT
It was anyone's guess how today would turn out based on the snow piling up on our tents this morning. We dragged our feet a little before downing a cup of coffee and packing up our camp. We pushed down the glacier in a near whiteout, unsure if any planes would venture into the Alaska Range today. After a great trip the team was ready to head home, but we had to still wait and see what Denali had in store for us. As we descended, the visibility improved and it began to look like some fancy flying might just get us to a shower after all. The weather continued to cooperate and it wasn't long before the awesome pilots at K2 had us back in the land of green forests, running water and options for food. And like that we left the Range after a few great weeks with our teammates.
It was an exceptional adventure, made great by the team who shared the effort to make it happen. Thanks to all involved for making it happen and we will all be home soon!
RMI Guide Jake Beren
Thanks to the great guides who did such a wonderful job getting this team up to the summit and safely back down again. Your knowledge of the mountain, the weather patterns, and your decisions about when to advance or when to stay put make all the difference. Thanks a million to all of you. You’re the best!!!
June 17, 2016 - 11:36 pm PT
What a big few days it's been! Forgive the radio silence, but our team has been busy getting some real climbing done. Since our glorious finale to our ascent, we descended back to 17 Camp and had a well deserved rest. We awoke early this morning with a motivating forecast to move and packed up our alpine home and began our descent. As we scooped up caches at 16,600, 14,200 and 11,000 our decision to beat feet downhill seemed well made. Winds and snow took over the upper camps and we made it to 7,800 camp where the air is thick and the temps are pleasant (by our new standards). We carved out a quick camp and are planning on an early morning to try and catch a flight tomorrow. Wish us one more day of decent weather and we'll be back to tell all the details of one hell of an adventure!
RMI Guide Jake Beren
Holy buckets! “Wings on your feet” and all that! I’m so glad the weather is holding and that your descent is going well. You all deserve a much needed rest so get K2 on the line in preparation of the first leg back home! I can’t WAIT to hear all about this wonderful adventure! Thank you again to God and to you three very accomplished and knowledgeable guides! You’re the BEST!!! Bird
June 16, 2016 - 6:07 PM PT
Hello from the top of Denali. We were lucky today and the mountain let us to the tip top. We are all doing fantastically well, the weather is just about perfect and we will soon start our descent. But we just wanted to check in, we will enjoy the views for a little bit longer, but the team has done great, everyone worked super hard. I'm quite proud of all of them. We will give you a shout from the lowlands. Take care all.
RMI Guide Jake Beren
RMI Guide Jake Beren calls in from the summit of Denali, Alaska.