Entries By katrina bloemsma
August 7, 2016
The Five Day Summit Climb led by RMI Guide Christina Dale reached the summit of Mt. Rainier this morning. Christina reported cold temperatures and windy conditions on the summit. The team began their descent to Camp Muir shortly after 8:00 a.m. PDT. The Five Day Summit Climb team will spend one more night at Camp Muir before returning to Ashford tomorrow afternoon.
Way to climb!
August 5, 2016
The Four Day Summit Climb team, led by Seth Waterfall and Katrina Bloemsma, reached the top of Mt. Rainier early this morning. Seth reported clear skies and moderate winds from the west.
After a successful summit yesterday, Ben Liken and the Expedition Skills Seminar - Emmons will return to Rainier Basecamp this afternoon.
So proud of our son and his team.
Posted by: Jon Jones on 8/5/2016 at 8:34 am
July 27, 2016
RMI Guides Katrina Bloemsma and Steve Gately led their teams to the summit of Mt. Rainier this morning. The weather report from the top was calm, sunny, and warming up quickly. At 7:15 a.m. they began their descent from the crater rim.
Congratulations to the teams!
July 12, 2016
The Four Day Summit Climb led by RMI Guides Seth Waterfall, Christina Dale, and Katrina Bloemsma reached the summit of Mt. Rainier just before 7:00 a.m. PDT. Katrina reported clear, breezy skies above Disappointment Cleaver. The teams will spend some time celebrating on the summit before beginning their descent. We look forward to seeing them in Ashford this afternoon.
Very exciting news… congrats everyone! Tell Casey I’ll have a nice dinner waiting for him tonight.
Posted by: Andrea Cerretani on 7/12/2016 at 7:44 am
July 8, 2016
The Four Day Summit Climb led by RMI Guides Seth Waterfall and Katrina Bloemsma was unable to reach the summit of Mt. Rainier this morning. Due to overnight rain the team was unable to leave Camp Muir for their summit attempt. The weather improved enough this morning for the team to climb up to Ingraham Flats at 11,200’ to climb a bit and experience the upper slopes of Mt. Rainier. The team left Camp Muir at 10:45 a.m. to make their descent back to Paradise. We look forward to seeing them in Ashford early this afternoon.
June 18, 2016
June 18, 2016 - 7:18 pm PT
It was anyone’s guess how today would turn out based on the snow piling up on our tents this morning. We dragged our feet a little before downing a cup of coffee and packing up our camp. We pushed down the glacier in a near whiteout, unsure if any planes would venture into the Alaska Range today. After a great trip the team was ready to head home, but we had to still wait and see what Denali had in store for us. As we descended, the visibility improved and it began to look like some fancy flying might just get us to a shower after all. The weather continued to cooperate and it wasn’t long before the awesome pilots at K2 had us back in the land of green forests, running water and options for food. And like that we left the Range after a few great weeks with our teammates.
It was an exceptional adventure, made great by the team who shared the effort to make it happen. Thanks to all involved for making it happen and we will all be home soon!
RMI Guide Jake Beren
Thanks to the great guides who did such a wonderful job getting this team up to the summit and safely back down again. Your knowledge of the mountain, the weather patterns, and your decisions about when to advance or when to stay put make all the difference. Thanks a million to all of you. You’re the best!!!
Posted by: Bud on 6/18/2016 at 8:48 pm
June 18, 2016
RMI Guide Jake Beren and Team called at 2:25 pm PST to let us know they have flown off of the mountain and expect to land in Talkeetna shortly.
June 18, 2016
June 17, 2016 - 11:36 pm PT
What a big few days it’s been! Forgive the radio silence, but our team has been busy getting some real climbing done. Since our glorious finale to our ascent, we descended back to 17 Camp and had a well deserved rest. We awoke early this morning with a motivating forecast to move and packed up our alpine home and began our descent. As we scooped up caches at 16,600, 14,200 and 11,000 our decision to beat feet downhill seemed well made. Winds and snow took over the upper camps and we made it to 7,800 camp where the air is thick and the temps are pleasant (by our new standards). We carved out a quick camp and are planning on an early morning to try and catch a flight tomorrow. Wish us one more day of decent weather and we’ll be back to tell all the details of one hell of an adventure!
On The Map
Holy buckets! “Wings on your feet” and all that! I’m so glad the weather is holding and that your descent is going well. You all deserve a much needed rest so get K2 on the line in preparation of the first leg back home! I can’t WAIT to hear all about this wonderful adventure! Thank you again to God and to you three very accomplished and knowledgeable guides! You’re the BEST!!! Bird
Posted by: Bird on 6/18/2016 at 6:53 am
June 16, 2016
June 16, 2016 - 6:07 PM PT
Hello from the top of Denali. We were lucky today and the mountain let us to the tip top. We are all doing fantastically well, the weather is just about perfect and we will soon start our descent. But we just wanted to check in, we will enjoy the views for a little bit longer, but the team has done great, everyone worked super hard. I’m quite proud of all of them. We will give you a shout from the lowlands. Take care all.
RMI Guide Jake Beren calls in from the summit of Denali, Alaska.
On The Map
Congratulations to the whole team! Fantastic news Jason, I’m looking forward to hearing all about your experience. Safe descent and “slán abhaile” (Irish for safe home). Fr Joseph
Posted by: Fr Joseph on 6/17/2016 at 11:16 pm
Way to go all!!
Safe downclimb and tasty beer!
Posted by: Jones-Hartmans on 6/17/2016 at 8:15 pm
June 16, 2016
June 16, 2016 - 1:21 A.M. PDT
The wind finally came this morning and the upper mountain looked rugged from our home at 14K. Our team was ready to rock early in the morning, but Denali had other plans. Plumes of snow streamed from the Buttress and the move was to brew another cup of coffee and out chill the weather. Eventually it tapered and we were able to launch upward towards our high camp. The weather turned beautiful, almost too hot, but pleasant to build camp in once we arrived. It was a big day, but we made it and are in position to give it a shot tomorrow. Wish us luck, we’re gonna need it!
On The Map
Jake, sending you power vibes to lead your team to a successful summit and descent. I hope there’s fairy dust on the summit ridge again this year ;)
Posted by: Meredith on 6/16/2016 at 5:01 pm
Good luck to Brad Lawler and team. Hoping you have a great summit experience!
Posted by: Matthew DeVoll on 6/16/2016 at 3:29 pm