Log In


Register With Us

    • *required fields

      The password must meet the following criteria:

      • At least 8 characters
      • At least 1 lowercase letter
      • At least 1 uppercase letter
      • At least 1 number
      • At least 1 symbol (allowed symbols: !?@#$%^&/*()[]{}><,.+-=;)
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.


Check Availability

RMI Logo

Entries By luke wilhelm

Denali: Walter & Team Back Carry to Bring Cache to 11K Camp

May 16, 2021 - 5:32 pm PT

We woke lazily to light snow this morning and had a leisurely breakfast of bagels, cream cheese, and smoked Alaska salmon. At 11am we set off downhill to retrieve our cache from 10,000'. We were back at camp by 2pm, with plenty of time for a nap and to gorge on lunch food. We also had some camp chores to attend to and some gear sorting in order to be ready for the next stage of the game: establishing a cache around Windy Corner at ~13,800'. We hope to make that happen tomorrow or the next day. We'll keep you posted either way.

RMI Guide Mike Walter

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

Looks and sounds spectacular.  Stay healthy and strong!
Praying for all of you!

Posted by: Julie Morris on 5/17/2021 at 2:10 pm

Denali Expedtion - Mike Walter and Team Move to 11,200’

May 15, 2021 - 7:26 pm PT

Our team had another big day today, moving camp from 7,800' to 11,200'. The weather was beautiful; the morning was nice and cool and the afternoon was hot and we couldn't buy a breeze. It took us 6 1/2 hours to make the move today, and another few hours of work to establish camp. We got our camp established with enough time for an afternoon nap for everyone while the guides melted snow to replenish water bottles.

Tomorrow we'll have a leisurely morning and head back down hill to retrieve the cache that we left at 10,000' yesterday. Weather permitting it should be a light workload tomorrow and we will able to get some good rest.

RMI Guide Mike Walter & Team

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

Praying for safety, health, strength and ideal weather. Enjoy the boundless beauty and have FUN!

Posted by: Julie Morris on 5/16/2021 at 8:09 am

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Cache Gear at 10,000’

Friday May 14, 2021 6:36 pm PT

Our team had a great day today, waking up to cloudless skies after a good night's rest. We hauled our backpacks and sleds laden with supplies up to 10,000', just shy of "The Corner" below Kahiltna Pass. After digging a deep hole in which to cache our gear, we returned back to our camp at the base of Ski Hill, 7,800'.

We returned to camp in the afternoon after the six hour round trip with time to lounge before firing up the stoves for dinner. The plan for tomorrow is to pack up camp and move up to the 11,200' camp. We'll keep you posted.

RMI Guide Mike Walter & Team

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

Looks cold and beautiful! Checking in on your adventure every day :)

Posted by: Margaret on 5/15/2021 at 7:09 pm

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Carry Loads to Base of Ski Hill

Thursday, May 13, 2021  - 9:57 pm PT

We had warm and sunny weather today and we took advantage of it to single carry all of our loads to the Base of Ski Hill. It took us 5 hours to get here, traveling on the Kahiltna Glacier with heavy packs and pulling heavy sleds.

The plan for tomorrow is to bump a load of supplies up Ski Hill to around 9800' and create a cache. Then we will return to our current camp for the night. The weather is looking good and everyone is doing well.

RMI Guide Mike Walter

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

I am thinking about and praying for all of you! Focus on the spectacular beauty!

Posted by: Julie Morris on 5/14/2021 at 8:15 pm

We are all watching. Hang in there and have a good time. Love you.

Posted by: Eve Stern on 5/14/2021 at 5:33 pm

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Fly to Base Camp on the Kahiltna Glacier

Wednesday, May, 12, 2021 - 10:04 pm PT

We got a break in the weather this afternoon and were able to fly in to Basecamp on the Southeast Fork of the Kahiltna Glacier. Camp is all set up and we have starting sorting out equipment for (hopefully) moving up glacier to the base of Ski Hill tomorrow. It was warm and sunny here today, although a cloud has settled in now and it's snowing lightly. We'll touch base again tomorrow as we start our long adventure of living on a glacier.

RMI Guide Mike Walter

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Good luck everyone!  I wish I could do this!

Posted by: Richard Zeppieri on 5/14/2021 at 3:47 am

Go get it and Godspeed, Pete & the Team!

Posted by: Kendra Madrid on 5/14/2021 at 12:25 am

Denali Expedition: Walter & May 10th Expedition Team Ready to Fly if Weather permits

We spent yesterday packing and going through all of our equipment for our Denali Expedition. Our gear is all packed and ready to be loaded onto the glacier planes, two DeHavilland Otters flown by our amazing pilots at K2 Aviation. We’ll meet at 8am and get an update on the current weather and flying conditions. The forecast is for snow today, so it is still uncertain if we will be able to fly in to Base Camp today. We’ll keep you posted as we prepare to live on a glacier for the next few weeks. Fingers are crossed…

RMI Guide Mike Walter

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Our son, Alex, is on the trip. Stay safe everyone and have an amazing adventure!
Jackie Woolley

Posted by: Jackie Woolley on 5/13/2021 at 7:10 pm

An endurance climb, expedition style, good luck to all, you will be so proud!

Posted by: Bill Bussey on 5/13/2021 at 6:47 am

Denali Expedition: May 10th Expedition Arrives in Talkeetna

RMI's Denali climbing season is officially underway. Our May 10th Denali Expedition team met yesterday at the Anchorage airport and travelled north to the town of Talkeetna. We will spend today packing our gear and preparing for our expedition, as well as attending an expedition orientation meeting with the National Park Service. The plan is to have all of the T’s crossed and the I’s dotted by this evening so that we’re ready to fly into Kahiltna Base Camp tomorrow, weather permitting. We’ll keep you posted…

RMI Guide Mike Walter

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

I am excited to be able to follow the progress of your expedition!  Go Hank and all!  Safe, exciting adventure to everyone.

Posted by: Beth on 5/14/2021 at 6:01 pm

Prayers and fingers crossed for good weather and success…Go Hank and the entire team!

Posted by: Nancy Thoenes on 5/14/2021 at 6:50 am

Mt. Rainier; Five Day Climb Team Turned by Weather at 13,000

RMI Guides Pete Van Deventer and Andy Bond led their team of climbers on the Five Day Climb May 3 - 7 to 13,000' today before deteriorating weather forced them to turn around.

The team completed their Mountaineering School on Tuesday and ascended to Camp Muir yesterday for their first night at 10,080'.  They will return to Camp Muir today for their final night on the mountain.  We look forward to seeing them at Rainier BaseCamp tomorrow.

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

A valiant climb made by all!  Good work, climbers.  Sorry you did not reach the summit, but glad for your safety.  <3

Posted by: Lauren Kraft on 5/7/2021 at 9:20 am

Hope they get the chance and make the summit.

Posted by: Don West on 5/6/2021 at 9:56 pm

Mt. Rainier: Muir Seminar Teams Enjoy Training at Muir and Reach Summit

The Expedition Skills Seminar - Muir teams led by RMI Guides Dustin Wittmier and Avery Parrinello ascended to Camp Muir on Monday under beautiful blue skies.  The good weather continued for their training at Camp Muir the following day.  Wednesday morning, with an alpine start, the team left Camp Muir en route to the summit.  The team enjoyed nice weather and clear skies, allowing them to spend some time in the crater.  After their time on top, the teams returned to Camp Muir.  They will continue their training today and tomorrow morning.  Tomorrow afternoon they will re-pack their gear and descend to Paradise.

Congratulations to the climbers on reaching the summit of Mt. Rainier and being the first RMI Team to do so this season!

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Congratulations!  Seeing these updates again is awesome!

Posted by: Glenn Kline on 4/23/2021 at 4:29 pm

Always great to hear of Rainier success. Bravo - especially to rookies.

Posted by: Waltero Glover on 4/23/2021 at 6:37 am

Denali Custom Expedition: Hahn & Team Return to Talkeetna, Celebrate Great Climb

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 - 1:11 AM PT The longest day. The weather remained stable and perfect... to a scary extent. Some of us lay awake last night at 14,000 just listening to the violent detonations of rock hitting ice and snow at terminal velocity. The high temps were to blame and those high temperatures were part and parcel of the prolonged good weather that allowed us to summit. For those monitoring the rockfall, it was a relief that wake-up time was at 11 PM. Best to be up and busy eating and packing then to be hearing rock and imagining worst case scenarios for a team passing Windy Corner ridiculously close up under the cliffs. We were walking at 12:30 AM and soon got to see the battlefields where car-sized chunks of granite had left deep tracks and impact craters on either side of the “trail”. Sure enough, in the zone where rockfall danger demanded our fullest attention, the track began to go over crevasse after crevasse and crappy bridge after crappy bridge. We struggled (as every one does) the then, surprisingly, the route got better. We were pleased to find things frozen up and easy travel far below the point where we’d been told to expect freezing. Once at 11,000' the nature of travel changed. We traded crampons for snowshoes and ice axes for ski poles. The morning/evening light was brilliant on Denali. Conditions on the lower glacier were way better than we expected. We just kept trudging as the light changed and found ourselves walking up Heartbreak Hill starting at 9:30 AM. It was 11:30 before we were at the “upper strip” on the SE Fork with all of our Basecamp caches relocated from the lower strip. Our pickup arrived just after 3 PM. We loaded and lifted off and flew into smoke as the pilots pointed their Otters toward Talkeetna. We got out of the planes in down jackets... immediately appreciating that the ambient temp at TKA was over 90 degrees F. Afternoon was then spent drying gear and reconnecting to the world. We met for a celebratory dinner at the West Rib and discussed our good fortune. Day 19 was a long one, but also a very good one. Best Regards RMI Guide Dave Hahn
Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

Sounds like a scary end to your trip! Glad everyone is safe.  Hope you all are enjoying a Great dinner, hot shower,  and comfy bed!

Posted by: Shannon Smith on 7/9/2019 at 7:11 pm

Next Page
Filter By:

Sign up for Expedition Dispatches

check the Summit Registry try our Adventure Finder alerts for 2022 RAINIER DATES
Back to Top

Sign up for our Newsletter

    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.
      privacy policy

Thank you for subscribing to the RMI Expeditions Newsletter!

While you're at it, you can sign up some of our other mailings as well:

Please choose the programs you'd like updates on: