Most Popular Entries


Denali Expedition: Schmitt & Team Reach 17,000ft Camp, Ready for Summit Bid

Wednesday, June 16, 2021 - 8:29 pm PT

We made it to High Camp, 17,200' on Denali. It’s a little blustery but other than that all is good here. Keeping our fingers crossed for good weather tomorrow!

RMI Guide JT Schmitt and the RMI team

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

Matt - Hopefully your next push will be the summit. Good luck and keep climbing. Best of weather and conditions so you can look down on Ross, Jason and Eli further down the glacier. Congratulations in advance! Gerard

Posted by: Gerard Crum on 6/17/2021 at 8:39 am


Kilimanjaro: Tucker & Team Visit a Maasai Village

Our good fortune continues. It must be a residual charm left over from the time spent on the mountain during the super moon. Cold and cloudy to start the day up on the Ngorongoro Crater Rim. That is not unusual, this typically being the coldest time of year. We paid a visit to a Maasai Village. Warmed up in one of their huts, while a nice gentleman told us fascinating facts and rich history of this unique group of people. I think you would be surprised at the insulation R-value of the walls of their thatch, cow dung and ash mixture construction. Since the funding goes to children education and the offerings were nice souvenirs, we were happy to invest in some of the village wares. We made the descent into the crater floor and spent a magical day with the other natives of the land, wild animals. So much fun and more to come. We move to Tarangire National Park tomorrow. RMI Guide Mark Tucker
Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

Hi Mark!
What a fantastic experience.  We’ll hear more from you when you return.
Love, Mother & Daddy

Posted by: Maury & Evie on 8/16/2014 at 4:08 am


Mt. McKinley: Beren & Team Move to 14,000’

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 A fine day for a move presented itself to us this morning and we certainly made the most of it. Leaving our 11,000' Camp in the early morning cold is great training for the chill of higher altitude and we made a solid bid before the sun came out in force. It's nearly always hot coming into 14 and today was no exception. We were treated to some real hospitality when we arrived in the form of another RMI Team, led by Tyler Jones and Garret Stevens. Freshly hydrated, we set to work building camp and rebuilding ourselves with a big meal and early night's rest. Tomorrow is a rest day, but I hazard a guess that we will be working in some way most of the day, retrieving a cache, fortifying camp and practicing for the fixed lines. It is exciting to be up here with such a great team! RMI Guide Jake Beren

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Galen,
I wait eagerly everyday for updates, checking the blog multiple times (despite the fact that I have subscribed to notifications). I have also read the blogs of the team you saw come down after their summit as well as the other team who’s also at 14k but started before your team. Reading all of these incredible stories and lush descriptions makes me jelly :( and reminds me of when I camped on top of tajumulco. Looks like there’s a bit of very cold and fierce wind and you may have to wait before climbing to 17k and/or to the top. By my calculations, you have 2/3 days of buffer time so hopefully the winds will die down a bit. Or “if you can hold on. If you can hold on, hold on.” Today I found myself thinking and brainstorming about our travel and it made me happy. I hope to see you soon R

Posted by: Alice on 6/14/2013 at 1:04 am

Keep up the great work everyone!I miss you Michael, have fun and be safe. Love Vien.

Posted by: Vien Vail on 6/13/2013 at 5:22 pm


Kilimanjaro: Tucker & Team’s First Views of Kilimanjaro

Mark Tucker checking in from Camp 2, Kilimanjaro, the Shira Camp. Well over 12,000'. You can see your breath tonight, a little bit chilly. What a great day. Perfect climbing conditions. We received a little sprinkling yesterday so the dust has been settled. We had a little cloud cover so it made quite comfortable climbing up to camp today. Then it started to rain just a little bit when we arrived so we are already in the tents. We were fortunate enough that the mountain popped out right at sunset tonight. We have now seen the peak. Everybody is quite thrilled with that. Lots of pictures as you can well imagine. The team is doing very well. Everybody's healthy and we've been moving nice and smooth and we're all developing these great techniques for the summit to come. We have a clear night and we'll talk to you tomorrow after a pretty good-size day. We're all looking for it. RMI Guide Mark Tucker


RMI Guide Mark Tucker checks in from Shira Camp on Kilimanjaro

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team

Mt. Rainier: Expedition Skills Seminar - Winter

Hi this is RMI Guide Seth Waterfall checking in from Camp Muir on Day 5 of our Expedition Skills Seminar - Winter. We've been having some serious winter weather up here. Although it has kept us off of the upper mountain, we have been able to do a lot of training out in the elements. Yesterday the storms kept us inside for a bit but we were able to venture outside to practice our crevasse rescue systems. This morning we had a great session on a fixed-line course and also practiced rappelling. This afternoon we have more activities planned and the we'll settle in for our last night at Camp Muir.
Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

That’s my boyfriend!!!! Maybe one day we can summit up there together :)

Posted by: Cathy on 2/11/2012 at 8:22 am

I’m assuming the weather conditions prevented you all from attempting the summit?  I know akbar was really looking forward to it.

Uzma (akbar’s wife)

Posted by: uzma on 2/10/2012 at 3:31 am


Mt. Everest Expedition: Plans Are Nothing, Planning is Everything

Early this morning two members of our Sherpa team left Everest Base Camp en route to Camp 1. The plan was for them to arrive before the climbers and set up tents for the group. The Jet Streams winds were camped above the mountain and word on the Base Camp "street" was that several tents from other teams had been destroyed at Camp 1 due to big winds. Our climbing team headed out of Base Camp but turned back before reaching Camp 1. The climbing Sherpa reached Camp 1 and secured our gear before descending back to Base Camp also. It is even windy here at Base Camp now. The team is feeling well, resting and will try again tomorrow to reach Camp 1. Let's see what happens. Til next time, RMI Guide Mark Tucker
Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

It looks to my friends like I’m sitting at home in Marina del Rey, CA, but in reality I’m with you, heart and soul.
It’s my secret.
Stay safe and the best of luck to all of you!
Wolf

Posted by: wolf schmidt on 4/23/2011 at 9:17 am

Sara and Bill,

We continue to be amazed at what you two have accomplished.  You all are in our thougths and prayers as you take on your next challenge.  We’ll know not to take either of you on in a horseshoe match upon your return!  Stay strong and enjoy your incredible journey.  Larry, Virginia, Matthew and Andrew

Posted by: Virginia Shackelford on 4/21/2011 at 3:46 pm


Mexico: Team at High Camp on Ixta

We hiked about five hours to our high camp today while brushing up on some mountaineering skills such as ice axe arrest, cramponing and roped travel. After dinner and our summit chat, it'll be off to bed in anticipation of our summit bid in the morning! The team is doing well, feeling strong and excited for the morning. Wish us luck!
Leave a Comment For the Team

Denali Expedition: Smith & Team Reach Summit of North Americas Highest Peak

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Good evening readers,

The team did it! At 620pm on Wednesday we stood on top of Deanli! The weather held with mostly clear skies and winds no greater than 20mph. It was a cold cold day. We wore most of our jackets and multiple layers on out legs. It was a long, hard day. We had the summit to ourselves. Tomorrow we head downhill to lower elevations where everyone will feel much better. We still have some big days ahead of us but the end is near. We would like to thank everyone for the good weather vibes and positive vibes! And for all the support from back home. Y'all are amazing!!

RMI Guide Hannah Smith and Team

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Congrats on the summit to the TMac attack and the rest of the team. Have a safe trip down. Sending good vibes and much love.

- Harold Pitt M.D.

Posted by: Harold Pitt on 6/21/2024 at 5:26 pm

Congratulations everyone on making it up!! Way to go Shane. Stay safe heading back down.

Posted by: Sonny Digiovanna on 6/21/2024 at 8:13 am


Mt. Rainier: Four Day Teams Turned back at 12,000ft

The Four Day Climb May 17 - 20 led by RMI Guides Casey Grom and Tatum Whatford reached 12,000ft today before route conditions required that they turn around. The team enjoyed a beautiful sunrise with a cloud deck below. They returned safely to Camp Muir, packed up their gear and continued their descent to Paradise.  The team will conclude their adventure this afternoon at Rainier BaseCamp.

PC: Tatum Whatford

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Early season is tough on Rainier. It’s more miss than hit until July 4th.

Posted by: Constantine on 6/1/2024 at 5:58 pm

We’re scheduled for a 5 day in mid-june… In looking through the blog I don’t see any successful summits this season… is there a summary we can see that provides some insight into how things are going in order to judge our chances (weather permitting) of success ?

Posted by: Doug Thompson on 5/24/2024 at 10:43 am


Denali Expedition: Van Deventer & Team Hold Tight Due to Weather

Saturday, May 29, 2021 - 10:25 pm PT

The weather that was forecast to show up, came in the late morning. Everyone enjoyed quality tent time with movies, cards, and even some song writing. Stay tuned for the artists debut. We see improving weather conditions in the forecast, and are hoping to make some moves in the coming days.

RMI Guides Matias, Chase, Pete, and team

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Praying for better weather to continue your journey. Praying for you, Luke and all of the team!

Posted by: Rae Wilson on 5/30/2021 at 7:19 pm

I have been following the blog everyday with growing excitement when you have a climbing day.  Sounds like everything is going good. Be safe. Mom

Posted by: Becky smith on 5/30/2021 at 1:17 pm

Previous Page   Next Page
Filter By:

check the Summit Registry try our Adventure Finder