Log In


Register With Us

    • *required fields

      The password must meet the following criteria:

      • At least 8 characters
      • At least 1 lowercase letter
      • At least 1 uppercase letter
      • At least 1 number
      • At least 1 symbol (allowed symbols: [email protected]#$%^&/*()[]{}><,.+-=;)
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.


Check Availability

RMI Logo

Entries By alex halliday

Denali Expedition: King & Team Cache Supplies Around Windy Corner

Wednesday, June 2, 2021 - 5:24 pm PT

We had a cold clear night and woke to blue skies. The goal today was to cache food and fuel around Windy Corner at 13,500'. The route would take us up Motorcycle Hill and Squirrel Hill. From there it’s across the Polo Field and into the Saddle before Windy Corner. Windy Corner lived up to its name but the winner of the strongest winds today was the Polo Field. The Team did well and enjoyed the amazing views of the surrounding Alaska Range. We are back at 11K Camp eating food and enjoying some warm tents. We hope to move to 14K Camp tomorrow if the weather permits. There is a weather system forecasted that might keep us here for a few days. We’ll let you know when we know.

RMI Guide Mike King

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Great photos, looks spectacular. Stay strong Rob and team!

Posted by: Brett on 6/4/2021 at 7:07 am

Climb Strong Brother Tom!!!

Posted by: Dave Kestel on 6/4/2021 at 2:51 am

Denali Expedition: King & Team have a Rest/Weather Day at 11K

Tuesday, June 1, 2021 - 3:10 pm PT

The forecast ended up being accurate for a change. We got light snow and wind beginning around midnight that has intensified over the morning. Between the wind, snow and lack of visibility we are staying at 11,200’ today in hopes of making a carry to 13,500’ when the weather allows. Until then we are enjoying the heavier meals and lot of good stories in the kitchen tent. While not the most exciting part of the trip, days like this let the legs rest and the heart/lungs acclimate which will only help us up higher on Denali.

RMI Guide Mike King

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

I hope you are acclimating well; taking deep breath’s and enjoying such amazing views. Praying for good weather and a safe climb. Cheeseburgers will be waiting for you!

Posted by: claudette Crockett on 6/4/2021 at 5:01 am

Stay warm Rob and team!

Posted by: Connie on 6/3/2021 at 7:41 am

Denali Expedition: King & Team Retrieve Gear from 9,500’

Monday, May 31, 2021 - 4:55 pm PT

After going to bed last night there was an earthquake that shook camp and caused some ice to fall waking up the guides and a few in the group. The others were too deep in sleep from our exhaustive day of trail breaking. Today we got a casual start with a big bacon and cream cheese bagel breakfast. Around 10:30 we headed down to our 9,500’ cache and by 11:30 we had started back up hill in the sunny weather and thin clouds that can feel like your being microwaved. The team did well and are all back in their tents enjoying some down time and their luxurious accommodations. Hard saying what will happen tomorrow cause there is stormy weather in the forecast. We will shoot for a carry of food and fuel around Windy Corner. Thanks for following along.

RMI Guide Mike King

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

Climb on Tom!!! I am with you in spirit!!!

Posted by: Dave Kestel on 6/2/2021 at 3:35 am

Denali Expedition: King & Team Move to 11,200ft Camp

Sunday, May 30, 2021 - 9:36 pm PT

I woke to the sound of song birds chirping by our dining tent. That could only mean one thing, that the storm had broken and we’d likely get a nice day to move camp. We woke up at 5 am and we were walking by 8 am. The storm had put 18” of new snow down. Since there were no early risers to break trail, we took that on ourselves. The day was hot and included lots of deep snow. We pulled into 11,200’ Camp at 4 pm. Camp setup, dinner and bed was all the bandwidth we had. Tomorrow we will back carry to 9500’ to retrieve our cache of food and fuel. It’ll feel like a rest day compared the effort put forth today. Goodnight.

RMI Guide Mike King

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Awesome stuff Rob and team! All the best!!

Posted by: Andrew, Alex, Oscar and Anabelle on 5/31/2021 at 10:49 pm

Way to go Abby and team!

Posted by: Mark Westling on 5/31/2021 at 10:09 pm

Denali Expedition: King & Team Wait out the Weather at Camp 1

Saturday, May 29, 2021 - 4:19 pm PT

With snow falling through the night and low visibility in the early morning we decided that a weather day at Camp 1 was better than packing up a wet camp and moving to a crowded 11,200’ Camp. We got some solar on the tents which makes for good napping. Lots of good conversations over a big breakfast of hash browns, eggs and bacon. Our plan is to move to 11,200’ tomorrow in better conditions. Everyone is doing well and looking forward to moving uphill.

RMI Guide Mike King

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Take in Every moment and treasure them!!! Climb High!!!

Posted by: Dave Kestel on 5/31/2021 at 3:01 am

Love my daily update. Sounds like a delicious breakfast.

Posted by: Louise Rothwell on 5/30/2021 at 9:34 am

Denali Expedition: King and Team Cache Gear at 9500’

Friday, May 28, 2021 -  5:09pm PT

We had another stormy night here at the base of ski hill. We woke to clear skies and decided to try and move some food and fuel towards Kahiltna Pass and the turn up to 11,200’ camp. 30 minutes into the day the wind picked up and the loose snow started spinning. With some warm gloves and a few layers we leaned into the very consistent and very cold 15 mph wind and took it an hour at a time. Eventually we got to 9500’ which met the goal for the day. The ravens will dig up shallow caches so we dug a deep hole and buried our food and fuel. We beat feet down to camp and are currently enjoying some sun on the tents while that very consistent 15 mph wind spins snow everywhere.

We’ll see what we get tomorrow and a move to 11,200’ is planned.

RMI Guide Mike King & Team

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Farmer Dave to Brother Tom….Remember You are Tough as Nails!!! Sing a little John Denver, that will always make things seem perfect!

Posted by: Dave Kestel on 5/30/2021 at 8:56 am

Good luck to the whole team

Posted by: Cathy H on 5/29/2021 at 7:48 pm

Denali Expedition: King and Team Move to Base of Ski Hill

Thursday, May 27. 2021 - 8:48pm PT

We flew onto the glacier late yesterday and did little else but get camp set up and ate some dinner. By midnight there was a blizzard that moved in until 9 am. After rigging our sleds and packs the wind had died down to a dull roar and the sky turned blue. We packed up and headed out around 12:30 pm with the sun to help balance the cold breeze. The route down heartbreak hill and onto the Kahiltna glacier was straightforward but windy. The wind would not abate for the next 5 hours as we leaned into it and got to camp. Heavy packs and sleds have us happy to be eating dinner and getting ready to sleep.

We’ll see what this storm brings tomorrow, but for now our fully bellies and tired legs could care less.

Thanks for following along,

RMI Guide Mike King and Team

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Hi Huw - I hope things are going well and you are enjoying this phase of the climb. Amazing to learn that birds will dig up shallow caches of food! Take care. Nigel.

Posted by: Nigel on 5/30/2021 at 6:20 am

Go well Rob and Co! Enjoy the climb and stay safe. Our very best wishes to you and all the 25th May team.

Posted by: Bill & Val Green on 5/29/2021 at 5:52 pm

Denali Expedition: King & Team Fly to Kahiltna Base Camp

The Denali Expedition May 25, 2021 led by RMI Guides Mike King, Alex Halliday and Abby Westling arrived in Anchorage on Tuesday, May 25th.  The team made their way to Talkeenta with a stop for groceries and fresh food to fly with them onto the mountain.  Once in Talkeetna they sorted and packed gear, met with the National Park Service and prepared to begin their adventure on Denali.  The forecast for Wednesday evening looked to have a break in the weather that would allow them to fly to Kahiltna Base Camp.  And sure enough, the team loaded up in the K2 Aviation Twin Otters and headed into the mountains around 5 pm local time.

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Wishing all the team success and be safe, blue skies ahead. Rob stay warm

Posted by: Kleberg Tio on 5/28/2021 at 12:19 pm

Climb High Tom!! Climb Strong !! I’m with you in sprit brother!! All the Best Mike King and Team!!!
Farmer Dave

Posted by: Dave Kestel on 5/28/2021 at 4:01 am

Mt. Rainier: May 22nd Teams Summit

The Four Day Climb Teams led by RMI Guides Dave Hahn and Alex Halliday reached the summit of Mt. Rainier today.  The guides reported light winds and great climbing conditions. They have left the crater and started their descent back to Camp Muir.

Congratulations to Today's Teams! 

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Congratulations to the Climb Teams for reaching the summit!!

Posted by: Tracey Inman on 5/23/2021 at 7:51 pm

Right on! Hope I’m there with you next year Bryan. Dogwood!

Posted by: William Maloney on 5/22/2021 at 11:37 am

Mt. Rainier: May 15th Teams Summit!

The Four Day Climb led by RMI Guides Adam Knoff and Alex Halliday reached the summit of Mt. Rainier today on the newly established Disappointment Cleaver Route. Guide Adam Knoff reported clear and windy skies. Tempratures were cool in the morining, but starting to warm up, so the team will have a pleasant descent back to Camp Muir.

Congratulations to Today's Team!

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

I am so proud of my son Hridaya Patel.

Posted by: Asootosh Patel on 5/16/2021 at 8:40 am

Did it take long from Base Camp to Summit.Hope you both felt ok at the top.
Excellent few days , very proud of you.
What’s your next challenge.?

Posted by: Peter Thomson on 5/15/2021 at 9:32 am

Previous Page   Next Page
Filter By:

Sign up for Expedition Dispatches

check the Summit Registry try our Adventure Finder
Back to Top

Sign up for our Newsletter

    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.
      privacy policy

Thank you for subscribing to the RMI Expeditions Newsletter!

While you're at it, you can sign up some of our other mailings as well:

Please choose the programs you'd like updates on: