Most Popular Entries


MT. McKinley: Beren and Team Move to 9,500’

Do two times constitute a trend? Probably not, but today did share a few similarities with yesterday. We woke to a little squirrelly weather with a few inches of snow on the tents and it was unclear whether heading up was a good idea or not. We watched the skies and eventually decided to move. As we climbed into the whiteout above camp and onto Ski Hill proper, the snow stopped and we enjoyed pockets of visibility. It was downright hot as we pulled into camp with an excellent down glacier view. We were able to go down to baselayers as we built camp and as soon as we finished setting up shop it began to snow. Now we are enjoying a hot beverage before some Tortellini a la Thomas for dinner. Tomorrow we'll see what happens in the sky and hopefully move to 11 camp. RMI Guide Jake Beren

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

To Christel: liebste Grüße und eine nächtlich wärmende, feste Umarmung, Tropf

Posted by: Susann on 6/10/2012 at 12:35 pm

Message for Bob…Could not be prouder of you brother!

Posted by: John Spinks on 6/10/2012 at 11:06 am


Alaska Seminar: Waiting for a Weather Window

There was about two feet of new snow last night at Kahiltna Base Camp. It is currently snowing and visibility is low. We are in standby mode and playing cards with our one set of 48 cards. It turns out the little snow storm from yesterday is lasting into today. We are waiting for some clear weather and our flight off the glacier. The thunderous vibrations of avalanches somewhere off into the thick clouds are pretty cool canceling out the wind and the snow battering the tent. Everyone has had a great time, but most are ready for some beers. Signing out from the land of positive vibrations. RMI Guide Jason Thompson

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team

Mexico’s Volcanoes:  Team Readies for Summit Attempt

Hello everyone, This is RMI Guide JJ Justman checking in. We want to let everyone following our Mexico's Volcanoes Expedition know that we are at high camp on Ixta (14,750ft). The Team is doing fantastic. We are preparing for our summit bid tomorrow, so we are getting our water ready. We are planning on waking up around midnight and getting hot drinks going for our crew. It is pretty unusual right now, there is a ton of snow that you don’t normally see here on Ixta, but it is actually making for some pretty nice climbing. Weather is calm there is no wind, so we will keep our fingers crossed. It’s looking like it is going to be a great day tomorrow, so stay tuned. We will check in again tomorrow and will hopefully have some great news. We are looking at a nice safe climb of Ixta. Ciao from Mexico!

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team

Mexico’s Volcanoes: Team Heads to Altzimoni Hut

Hello from the Mexico's Volcanoes Team, Today we left our high altitude training site ready to go higher. After a lovely brunch overlooking the Txacala waterfall we continued to the town of Amecameca to finish acquiring our provisions for Ixta. Loaded with plenty of food we drove to Paso de Cortez, the col between Ixta and Popo, to finish our approach to the Altzimoni hut. Here we rest, with full bellies, and finish our last preparations before hitting the trail to our high camp on Ixtaccihuatl. The weather has been a bit unseasonable so far, with rare snow at these elevations. Folks from the surrounding towns have been driving up to check out the snow and we have passed more than a few cars with tiny snowmen perched on their hoods. Our fingers are crossed that the "White Woman" (as Ixtaccihuatl is known because it resembles a woman sleeping on her back, and is often covered with snow) will be without her blanket of clouds tomorrow. Wish us luck, RMI Guide Jake Beren

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Good Luck Team Hermano!

Posted by: Hannah on 2/15/2012 at 6:51 am

Hope you had a brilliant summit.  Post some pictures and send my love to mr. Rogers.

Posted by: Bonny Rogers on 2/15/2012 at 5:48 am


Mt. Everest Expedition: The Start of Another Rotation

It’s a beautiful day here at Everest Base Camp. RMI Expedition Leader Dave Hahn and our team of climbers and Sherpa left Base Camp early this morning en route to Camp 1. The team made great time through the Khumbu Ice fall and up to almost 20,000'. They are now tucked in comfortably at Camp 1. Their plan for tomorrow is another early start to climb up to Camp 2. The Western Cwm can get quite warm with its high ice walls and an early start will get them through with some cooler temperatures. The team will spend several nights at Camp 2 (21,000') to acclimatize. While at Camp 2 they will be accompanied by climbing Sherpa Lam Babu and Tsering as well as our cook Yubarj. Two members of our Sherpa staff, Kaji and Dawa, went to Camp 2 a few days ago to ready the camp for the team’s arrival and have now returned to Base Camp. I attended a meeting today here at Base Camp to discuss the plan for getting the rope up to the South Col and finishing the route work. Things went well at the meeting with a great amount of support and cooperation amongst the teams. Life is good here on the glacier. Till next time, RMI Guide Mark Tucker

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

Way to go team!  Best of luck to everyone on this rotation!  Each and every day I look forward to seeing a new post so thank you for keeping us updated!  Stay strong and be safe—we are thinking of you always!

Posted by: Martin on 4/28/2011 at 6:38 pm


Vinson Expedition: Cifelli & Team High Winds Keep team at High Camp

Sunday, December 1, 2024 - 11:45 am PT

Yesterday we had the most beautiful day, mostly calm, clear skies, warm enough. The strange thing was that it was forecasted that we would have high winds and blowing snow. It wasn’t that the forecast was wrong necessarily, it just got the timing wrong. At around midnight the winds showed up, transporting about half a foot of snow around our tents and in every nook and cranny it could find. Bitter cold, shaking our tents, and making it clear today was no summit day. So instead we woke, winds still howling, and got to work. Building higher walls, clearing the nooks of our gear of snow, and making a high camp breakfast of bacon, eggs, and hash browns. We’ll take another day to recoup, rehydrate, and eat eat eat. Crossing our fingers that tomorrow is our day! Whoever didn’t wish us luck back at home, we blame you entirely.

Till tomorrow!
RMI Guide Dominic Cifelli

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Liebes Vinson-Team,
Für euren Aufstieg wünsche ich euch eine lange Atempause des Windes, einen Geist, so klar wie die kalte Luft, ein wärmendes Licht und ein liebendes Herz für die Schönheit der Natur um euch.
Ich wünsche euch einen gesunden Gipfelauf- und Abstieg.
Herzliche Grüße zu euch allen und im besonderen für dich, liebe Anja. Von Herzen, Romy

Posted by: Romy Rittweg on 12/3/2024 at 3:54 am

Hey Team,
I don’t know any of you but have done some climbing with RMI. I’m following you all on this Incredible climb and wish you all the Best! Hopefully Mother Nature gives you all the gift of Strength and Endurance and Perfect weather to Stand on Top!!! Climb Strong!!!
Dave

Posted by: Dave Kestel on 12/2/2024 at 3:49 am


Peru Seminar: Elias & Team Summit Ishinca!

Hello, good morning. This is the Peru climbing team calling from the summit of Ishinca, 5,530 meters. It's 9:45 a.m. local time. I'm going to let you know how the crew is doing... [Team's happy cheers!] I hope that was a good enough sign. We had a heck of a climb this morning. The team crushed it. We are having a really good day. We've had some easy weather the last couple of days but this morning from sunrise to right now, nothing but blue skies. The views from up here are astonishing, and we'll let you know when you see the pictures. We will keep you posted of our schedule. Tomorrow we are going to take a rest day and we'll see what the next couple days bring us as we wrap up the program. We call you back and I hope everybody is doing well at home. That's it for now. RMI Guide Elias de Andres Martos


Elias de Andres Martos calls in from the Inshinca summit!

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Awesome, Lucy and Corell!!! So excited for you and the rest of the team!!!
One more to go!
Can’t wait to hear about it all, and to see photos!

Corell- the boys are home from Philmont—Colman is filled with stories—not the least of which is waking up to a lightning-induced forest fire ~100 yds away across the creek. A nascent forest fire that their group actually alerted the nearby staff/ranger camp about, and the same fire that made the papers back here… YIKES! we are fortunate the group leader got up earlier than the others to make coffee—noticed the flames filling the trees just across the creek, then went to the tents with the sleeping boys and said, “Boys, we might have a bit of an emergency here…”  Colman said they had never packed up so fast!!!!

Thurston’s group was not on same trail, but apparently saw the flames…think both groups were diverted a bit. I think the fire was finally contained a week later…
But oh my!

Hoping your adventures are challenging—- but not so dangerous!!
XOXO

Posted by: Dana Marie on 7/8/2014 at 8:53 pm

Great job, Lucy.  So good to hear everyone is climbing well and the weather is cooperating.  All is well in VA.  Love from all 5 of us.  C

Posted by: Carter on 7/8/2014 at 6:39 pm


Everest Base Camp Trek & Island Peak Climb: Tucker & Team Return to Lukla

Hello Everyone. We were foot soldiers today, we marched our way into Lukla in great style. The last hour is all up hill,a nice pump to finish the day. Doctor Scholl's was our best friend. A bit of overcast kept the temperature just right for this lowland trek, 10,000 ft. After about three weeks in this land of giant mountains, for some, it's time to hit the beach. I could call this one heck of a fishing trip. We all received a license, no poachers, played by the rules. We casted our lines, used every trick in the book. Caught some big ones and a trophy for a few. We all leave with more experience and respect for this type of event in our lives. The Dudh river, a constant companion on the hike out,loads of blooming rhododendron a nice farewell. Always a pleasure to work with High Altitude Dreams our local outfitter. The team from the states way to go! Hope to have another chance to play with you all in my office soon. Thank you all out in cyber land for following this trip, get out while you can. I will start working my way back to the Big E and blog ya later. RMI Guide Mark Tucker

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

BIG congrats to you all!

Posted by: Caril on 4/8/2013 at 7:04 am


Mexico Volcanoes: Team at Altizmoni Hut on Ixta

Hello everyone! The Mexico Team is officially at the lower hut on Ixta. The morning started out in style with a terrific buffet breakfast at La Mission Hotel and Spa. I love sitting in that restaurant sipping coffee overlooking a waterfall. After we had our fill we did a last minute grocery shop and then we made our way to the mountain. It is always flattering when the team says tonight was the best dinner yet. Carne asada, fresh sautéed veggies, black beans on top of cheese on fresh corn tortillas. The team is doing great and we are prepared to head on up to high camp tomorrow. RMI Guide JJ Justman

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

This is Kevin’s wife… Your March 4 breakfast and dinner sounds fabulous. Kevin said he would be roughing it, but now I think he’s really on a spa vacation with Bill.

Posted by: Lynn Larson on 3/5/2013 at 5:10 am


Vinson Massif: Hahn & Team - Quiet Time

This was a quiet and easy day at Union Glacier Camp. We slept well and ate well at low altitude. We sorted equipment, chatted with fellow climbers, wrote in our journals and every now and then stood outside the tents to see the mountains, the snowcats and airplanes and the Kansas-sized expanse of ice stretching to our Northeast. Many spent the day browsing through the great Antarctic Exploration library in camp, learning of Scott, Shackleton and Amundsen. For a change of pace in the evening, the climbing teams sat for a story session detailing the pioneering expeditions to Mount Everest. Tomorrow we'll see if conditions allow for our "scheduled" exit flight. Best Regards, RMI Guide Dave Hahn

On The Map

Leave a Comment For the Team
Previous Page   Next Page
Filter By:

check the Summit Registry try our Adventure Finder