Most Popular Entries


Denali Expedition: Van Deventer & Team Wait at 11,000 Camp, Ready to Move up

Sunday, May 23, 2021 - 11:47 pm PT

Though it's almost June, the temps this morning hit us like the coldest winter chill.  When we first crawled out of the tents it looked like today would be the day. It was cold, but the winds were light in camp. Above, huge plumes of snow launched off of the upper elevation ridgelines, a clear visual of how hard the winds were blowing aloft, but with them coming out of the north, we hoped the mountain would provide shelter and that the warmth that came with the sun would tame the winds. Instead, the opposite happened. As we ate breakfast the winds steadily increased in camp to a small squall, injecting snow through any opening in tents or clothes. Word from higher up said 14,000' Camp was no better. So we got the message and settled in. They've calmed considerably since this afternoon and the forecast calls for them to continue to diminish, so we know we'll get our shot to move up. The group is doing really well with the weather hang. Rounds of gin rummy, kindles, and movies are keeping everyone occupied, as well as a quick wall building session to protect our bathroom tent. Someone mentioned working on content for the Denali calendar as well. Fingers and toes are crossed we get to go climbing tomorrow.

RMI Guides Pete, Matias, Chase, and team, brought to you by Alice in Chains

(Previous blogs brought to you by Outkast and The Scorpions)

Leave a Comment For the Team

Everest Base Camp Trek: Grom & Team Back to Namche Bazaar

Hello again everyone. All is still well here in the Khumbu as the team members made our way back into Namche. It was a busy day on the trail with climbers, trekkers, yaks, and porters all bound uphill to basecamp. We slowly made our way through the maze of traffic and enjoyed one last good view of Everest. Along the way we ran into several old friends from my past trips and stopped to wish everyone good luck. Tomorrow we'll be moving out early on our final leg of the journey back to Lukla. So please keep you fingers crossed we have good weather and can make our flight back to Kathmandu the following morning. RMI Guide Casey Grom and crew
Leave a Comment For the Team

Mt. Rainier: Four & Five Day Teams Unable to Summit

The lightning storm prevented the Four and Five Day Summit Climb teams from reaching the summit of Mt. Rainier this morning. RMI Guide JJ Justman reported that the teams turned at 11,400' to seek shelter at Camp Muir. Their plan is to descend from Camp Muir around 8:30 am PST. We look forward to seeing the teams at Rainier BaseCamp later this morning.
Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

I was watching the blinking light up on the mountain hoping every one would make it back to climb another day.  I had gone to the mountain in hopes to capture lightning on film, but it was touching down very close and chickened out.  I was at the snow lake trailhead and I think the car parked 40 feet away got hit.  What a show!

Posted by: Brian on 6/29/2015 at 8:42 pm

Hey guys, I woke up about 12:30 to the sound of thunder at the Bunkhouse. I sat on the picnic table and watched the light show while hoping you would still make it and that you were all safe. Sorry you had to turn back.

Posted by: kelly gaddis on 6/29/2015 at 1:26 pm


Kilimanjaro: Hahn’s Team Ends with a Roar

Kikoti Camp was perfect last night. The team was refreshed and happy as we set out on our final day. Our course took us back through Tarangire National Park where we saw three young lionesses, a hunting leopard, a couple hundred elephants of all sizes, a thousand zebras and a heck of a lot of outstanding birds. By midday we'd left the park and were on the road to Arusha. Back at the lush and relaxing grounds of the Dik Dik Hotel, we rested, repacked and got ready to go our separate ways. We enjoyed a last dinner and a few more laughs together before jumping into the bus for the airport. Until next climb... Best Regards, RMI Guide Dave Hahn
Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Thank you to Mr. Hahn, the porters, and everyone at the various hotels for taking such good care of our climbers. You guys are awesome. I don’t think Eric will ever forget this trip.

Posted by: Mara on 9/27/2013 at 7:33 pm

Congratulations Jeff and Meredith! Well done and safe home from all of here in Toronto.
Alexa

Posted by: Alexa Colenbrander on 9/27/2013 at 12:49 pm


Mt. Kilimanjaro: Waterfall & Team Explore Tarangire National Park

Hello - We are checking in on our penultimate day. We're in Tarangire National Park also known as the garden of the elephants. It's been a great day and we've been fortunate to have gotten close to many large animals. Tonight we'll be having our last dinner together before we all start heading home. RMI Guide Seth Waterfall
Leave a Comment For the Team

Mt. Rainier: Teams on the summit August 2nd!

The Four Day Summit Climb led by RMI Guide Leon Davis reached the summit of Mt. Rainier this morning at approximately 7:25 am. Leon reported steady winds from the N/NW at 10-15 mph, cold temperatures and a cloud deck below at 10,000'. The Expedition Skills Seminar - Paradise led by Adam Knoff also reached the summit this morning. The teams spent approximately one hour on the summit before starting their descent. Both teams will return to Camp Muir to repack their gear and take a short break before continuing down to Paradise this afternoon. We look forward to seeing them at Rainier BaseCamp later today. Congratulations to today's summit climbers!
Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

What a Great Experience! Thanks to Leon, Nick, Chase and our team.

Posted by: Fran G on 8/10/2013 at 7:46 am

OUTSTANDING!!!! Way To Go People !!!!

Posted by: Rick Myers on 8/2/2013 at 9:47 pm


Ecuador: Mike Walter Checks In From Chilcabamba

Hi, this is Mike Walter calling from Chilcabamba. We awoke last night at 11 pm to check the weather for our summit attempt on Cayambe. I took a quick check out side and was greeted with a strong wind, some snow and poor visibility. We kept checking the weather to see if it would improve but by 3 am it became apparent that the storm wasn’t going to let up. It wasn’t going to be our day on Cayambe. Instead we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the warm and dry comforts of the Cayambe climber’s hut. After lots of coffee, hot chocolate, oatmeal and cinnamon rolls, we packed up, put on our Shell jackets and headed down to the trail head and our waiting vehicles. We headed to south to Chilcabamba where we will rest and prepare for our next climbing objective: Cotopaxi. Chilcabamba is located just outside of Cotopaxi National Park, on the flanks of Cotopaxi and has great views of the mountain and our climbing route. We are hoping for more cooperative weather down south and our climb of Cotopaxi. In the mean time We are all in good spirits and enjoying each other’s company and the wonderful culture of Ecuador. Right now I am standing outside of Chilcabamba on a cloudless morning looking at Cotopaxi. So all is well and we’ll check in later from the Cotopaxi hut. RMI Guide Mike Walter
Leave a Comment For the Team (1)

Best of luck for good weather on Cotopaxi——kick in some steps for next week’s team.!  Safe climbing.

Posted by: Darryl Schimeck on 6/28/2011 at 11:58 am


Aconcagua: Summit!

Hi everybody, who’s been following along. This is Billy, just checking in, we just completed, our summit day and we were able successfully put six climbers on top of Aconcagua this afternoon. We’re all back at camp safe and sound. And we enjoyed a sunny summit and then the weather kinda came in on our descent. And we are sitting in tents right now and it's snowing lightly. But pretty much plans from here on out are to pack up and high tail it out- out to basecamp and then straight back to Mendoza. Everyone sends their love to their family members and loved ones, and especially Richard. Richard wanted me to make a point of saying that he loves his wife very much and that she’s his valentine and that he could not have summitted today without her. And we’ll check in again as things progress and we're headed back home. All right. Take care. Bye bye. RMI Guide Billy Nugent


Billy talks about their summit day.

Leave a Comment For the Team (2)

Nice job everyone.  I was on Billy’s team last year standing atop Aconcagua, and have been following your progress.  Congratulations!  Now get outta there safely! 

If he isn’t doing his Chicago Superfan routine on your hike out, you are totally missing out.

Posted by: Dan on 2/15/2011 at 12:03 pm

Great job guys!  I’m happy for y’all!  Lots of Malbec waiting for you in the city.  Maybe even Basecamp, if you’re as lucky as Team Gabby was.

Posted by: Keith P on 2/15/2011 at 10:44 am


Vinson: RMI Team on the Summit

Hey everybody this is Peter Whittaker up on top with the whole First Ascent/RMI team. We are on top of Mt. Vinson it’s 5 p.m. It’s about 31, 32 below zero and the wind is blowing about 18 - 20 knots. It’s beautiful up here clear, low clouds and bitter, bitter cold. We are going to try and push a picture out tonight when we get back to high camp and you’ll see we are all frosted up. But we are happy, we are on top. Give a yell you guys… We’ve done it. A beautiful day, a little brisk and we are going to put the phone away and head on out of here. Alright that’s the word from on top of the bottom of the world. We’ll shoot a call later on maybe from camp. First Ascent, RMI and Eddie Bauer over and out.
Leave a Comment For the Team

Dave Hahn Preps For Climb To Camp I

A few gusts of wind plowed through camp early this morning. Not enough to really test our First Ascent tents, just enough to remind that we, and those tents, will get all the test we can handle soon enough. On several mornings so far, we've seen big streamers of cloud and snow being ripped from high on Lhotse and Nuptse, betraying some fierce winds aloft. But on just as many other mornings, we've looked up at calm and still summits just begging some eager overachiever to come up to play. Of course, should someone come up to play right now, they'd be dealing with radically cooler temps -even in calm conditions- than we hope to experience in a month or so (when it will still be cold enough, thank you). Normally, the winters in these parts don't produce a lot of snow. The pattern is for the Everest region to be raked by cold, jet stream winds through much of winter and spring. Nobody I know wants to be going for Everest's summit when the jet is near. The summer monsoon, which hits in June, (and not in May, please) is the phenomenon bringing big moisture -in the form of snow- to these mountains. The monsoon is not a popular climbing season since most climbers don't enjoy the avalanches that accompany big snows in big mountains. When we come over here for the Spring, or pre-monsoon, climbing season, the hope is that we can get our acclimatization/rope-fixing/load-carrying cycles completed in the tail-end of the windy/cold winter season. There is then normally a period of relative calm when the jet stream pulls north away from Everest and the monsoon hasn't yet moved in. Ideally, we jump all over that hypothetical window in the second half of May and get our carcasses to the summit and back. Some years the window is open for weeks... some years the window is open for fifty-seven minutes. I've been encouraged so far this season to believe that the big peaks aren't continually being blasted by an organized jet stream stuck in the vicinity. Less wind up high means the route can be fixed earlier and people can start going for the summit earlier, thus alleviating some of the hazard that would exist if everybody is forced to go for the top in one narrow and congested window of opportunity late in May. We do receive excellent weather forecasts via our satellite email system, but at this early stage of the season, there isn't much to be gained by obsessing over the weather. Working, as we are, down low on the mountain and within giant valleys like the Western Cwm, we don't need forecasts much. If the weather is good, we climb, if the weather is bad we either sit or descend... simple. Peter Whittaker and Ed Viesturs took their half of the climbing team up above ABC today for an exploration of the starting zone of the Khumbu Glacier. They got a good look at the immense and icy Lhotse Face from its base at around 22,500 ft. and then returned to ABC... working high, sleeping low... it is a repetitive theme in smart acclimatization. Melissa Arnot did the same thing today down at Camp I after her first night there. She tested the ankle that has been giving her trouble and previewed the route to CII for a little distance before getting back to rest another night at CI. She'll hope to join her team at ABC tomorrow. Way down here at basecamp: Erica Dohring, Seth Waterfall, Kent Harvey and I have been packing and preparing to make the big move to Camp I tomorrow morning. Ang Kaji will be part of the crew, since Kent the cameraman has far more gadgetry than can be reasonably carried in one pack. Technically, we are resting today, but as usual, we are all keyed up and jittery and ready to get this party started. We sat with Linden Mallory and Jeff Martin, strategizing and coordinating. I laid out a plan that could put us up the hill for the next five days. We went "shopping" in the supply tent for yummy and familiar goodies from American supermarkets. We packed a few things for the Sherpa loads that will go up tomorrow. I talked with Tendi about whether to go the old route (from two days ago) in the icefall, the new route (from a day ago), or the new, new route (from today, detouring a section of the new route that fell out yesterday). We've got fresh batteries for our radios and an order in with Chef Kumar for an early breakfast. We are physically fit and rested. It is time to get in the game... weather permitting.
Leave a Comment For the Team
Previous Page   Next Page
Filter By:

check the Summit Registry try our Adventure Finder