×

Log In

Need an RMI account? Create an account

Register With Us

Already have an account?

*required fields

The password must meet the following criteria:

  • At least 8 characters
  • At least 1 lowercase letter
  • At least 1 uppercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 symbol (allowed symbols: [email protected]#$%^&/*()[]{}><,.+-=;)

Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.
Privacy Policy

×
×

Check Availability

RMI Logo

Denali Expedition: Walter & Team Continue to Wait out the Weather

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 - 4 pm PT

Once again I write from our comfortable camp in Genet Basin. There is not very much new to report. It is mostly sunny and calm down here. The story is different up above, where a large lenticular cloud had encapsulated the upper mountain. Our friends at High Camp have reinforced their snow walls and are hunkered in their tents. We are all hopeful for the decreased winds that are forecast for Friday afternoon. In the mountains, you are at the whim of the weather, and it is a fool's journey to act otherwise. Hopefully our patience will pay off soon with an opportunity to move higher. Until then, we're in chill mode. Reading, music, conversations, and crosswords are on the itinerary. A big breakfast scramble with plenty of coffee was a highlight this morning. It's important to savor the little things as we wait for our chance for further climbing forays.

RMI Guide Mike Walter


Comments (3)

Is wonderful to see everyone is in such thoughtful and knowledgeable hands.

Posted by: Anne on

Safety is priority #1. Your wise in waiting for safe climbing conditions. Hang in there, this will happen soon.

Posted by: Larry Shears on

Very glad to hear that safety is the overriding goal. Thank you RMI guides for being smart. I climbed Rainier in June 1980 with Pete Whittaker as the main guide. He was age 22. I was 26. The September 1979 before, RMI turned us around in a whiteout at 13,200. RMI’s goal is to return safely, summit or not.

Posted by: Paul Kent on

Leave a comment for the team

* required fields

More to Explore

Kahiltna Seminar: Halliday & Team Climb Radio Tower

May 25, 2022

Kahiltna Seminar: Halliday & Team Check in

May 25, 2022

Filter By:

Sign up for Expedition Dispatches

check the Summit Registry try our Adventure Finder
Back to Top

Sign up for our Newsletter

Image of Mt Rainier
    *required fields
    • Keep up to date with information about our latest climbs by joining our mailing list. Sign up and we'll keep you informed about new adventures, special offers, competitions, and news.
      privacy policy

Thank you for subscribing to the RMI Expeditions Newsletter!

While you're at it, you can sign up some of our other mailings as well:

Please choose the programs you'd like updates on: