We were hoping for a break in the weather as today was our last chance for a Mt. Shuksan summit bid, instead we got more rain. It’s one of the dice we roll when spending time in the mountains. Whatever our weather, Joy and Jim are still laughing and having fun. The rain has been steady all day today and even breakfast had to be made in the vestibule of the tent. We are hoping to see a weather break or two for our hike out tomorrow.
Well, Jim, Joy, and I were hoping to climb Shuksan today but the weather once again thwarted our summit attempt. It rained hard all through the night and intermittently this morning. We had a nice breakfast between showers and then hopped back in tents for the better part of the morning. We emerged from our tents around 10:30 to find threatening clouds bearing down on us but as it was not raining at that moment we decided to do some more training. That has become our motto on this seminar, “Let’s do some training until it starts raining”. After going through crevasse rescue practice and a lunch break the weather kept holding for us so we got in some great ice climbing and fixed line training. During dinner we watched as the clouds appeared to be breaking up and patches of blue sky made their way towards us. Tonight we are all sleeping with fingers crossed that we get our chance to climb tomorrow. That’s all for now. Thanks for checking in.
FLOS3 sends best wishes and we hope the rain stops!
From (also rainy) Boonton, NJ, elevation 397 Feet :)
Posted by: Stef + Trish on 8/29/2013 at 5:45 am
Rain, rain go away…. Glad to hear there are breaks and you have been able to train.
The summit is calling down everyone’s name, so positive thinking that Thursday is the day to get up there!
Posted by: Jann on 8/28/2013 at 10:26 pm
Jim, Joy, and I had a great day of training today despite some very ominous looking clouds- the rain held off until about 4 pm. We did some good crampon review, self-arrest and team-arrest practice, as well as rope travel on glaciers and lastly climbing on rock. I think Jim and Joy enjoyed the rock climbing practice the most. Now we are in our tents again waiting for the rain to stop so we can hopefully get an anchor building lesson in before dinner and then bed. We will try to climb tomorrow if we get the weather for it; otherwise, we have Thursday to fall back on. We are all having a great time despite the rain, and spirits are still high. Jim and Joy are laughing right through the bad weather. That’s all for now.
Thanks for checking in on us.
Jim and Joy you guys are awesome! Sounds like you are working hard yet having fun! Can’t wait to hear this from your perspective and see some photos!
Posted by: Jordan on 8/28/2013 at 10:03 am
August 26, 2013
Posted by: Geoff Schellens
Joy, Jim, and I are enjoying a restful day here at the lower bivy camp (6,200’) on Mt. Shuksan. We have accomplished some training in between showers, spirits are high and everyone is having a good time. Forced tent time is notorious on any long climb and such skills as “sport eating” and “competitive napping” are worth being good at, and we have practiced both today. We are hoping for better weather tomorrow for more training and to move camp higher on the mountain.
Thanks to everyone for checking in.
RMI Guide Geoff Schellens
Thanks for the updates. As Joy well knows I like to follow her hikes and treks when possible.
Thinking of you all each day.
Posted by: Jann on 8/27/2013 at 9:34 am
Had a great first day on the Mt. Shuksan 6-day Denali Prep course. Jim and Joy showed up prepared and ready to go. After a gear check, and another cup of coffee, we headed out of town to the Shannon Ridge trail head. We started up the trail with sun on our shoulders, laughing about the 30% chance of rain. After a couple hours hiking we left the trees behind and enjoyed great views of Mt. Baker. With these views, however, also came the end of our laughter as we noticed dark clouds approaching. Though we did get a light rain in the last 1/2 hour before getting to the low bivy camp site, we had a great day. Jim and Joy are in good spirits and staying dry in there tent, currently discussing dinner options. We’ll see what the weather gods have in store for us tomorrow.