Entries By solveig waterfall
July 2, 2015
The Four Day Summit Climb teams led by RMI Guides Eric Frank and Solveig Waterfall reached the summit of Mt. Rainier early this morning. The teams enjoyed clear blue skies and warm temperatures. RMI Guide Kel Rossiter led the Expedition Skills Seminar - Emmons to the summit via the Emmons Glacier route.
Congratulations to today’s climbers!
Congratulations to 313 AS Climbing! Great job Rob and team! The team raised over $10,000 for the Seattle Childrens Hospital Uncompensated Fund!
Posted by: Rex Luzader on 7/3/2015 at 2:44 pm
June 27, 2015
The Four Day Summit Climb teams led by RMI Guides Adam Knoff and Solveig Waterfall reached the summit of Mt. Rainier this morning. While on the summit, the teams enjoyed light winds and high clouds. The teams will return to Rainier BaseCamp in Ashford this afternoon.
Hey Jeff, congrats on reaching your goal! Safe trip back for all!
Love Mom and Dad
Posted by: Joanne on 6/28/2015 at 4:55 pm
Yea Andrew, Danielle and team! Send photos.
Posted by: PopPop LeClair on 6/28/2015 at 4:13 am
June 17, 2015
RMI Guide Solveig Waterfall and the Five-Day Mount Rainier Summit Climb, along with Tyler Reid and the Four-Day Summit Climb reached the summit this morning. They enjoyed light winds and clear skies. The teams spent some time celebrating and enjoying the views before starting their descent at 8:10 a.m.
Today marks Solveig’s 100th summit of Mount Rainier! Congratulations!
Solveig- Not sure if I had provided to you a link of the video created following our climb. Not sure if you remember, I raised money for a local non-profit.
Have a safe ‘16.
Thanks for everything! Hoody
Posted by: David Hood on 3/6/2016 at 6:56 am
Hey, Robin and Phil and all… Hurrah!!
Posted by: Bill Decker on 6/18/2015 at 8:50 am
May 31, 2015
Sunday, May 31st 1:54pm PDT
Mike Walter called from 14K Camp on Mt. McKinley. Both his team and RMI Guide Pete Van Deventer team will be heading down to 11,000’ Camp or 7800’ Camp tonight. Their plan is to be at the airstrip in the morning. If the weather cooperates, they will be in Talkeetna by tomorrow afternoon.
Mike…Congratulation to you + your team…Walter
Posted by: Waltero on 6/2/2015 at 5:53 am
May 30, 2015
Update Saturday, May 30th 8:30 pm PDT
Mike Walter & team were safely back at camp by 6 pm PDT. They will begin their descent to Basecamp tomorrow.
Saturday, May 30th 2:40 pm PDT
RMI Guide Mike Walter and team are standing on the summit of Mt. McKinley! Mike reported a strong team and and short-sleeve weather on top. The team will begin making their descent shortly and will send a dispatch when they are back at camp.
Way to go team!
On The Map
Totally awesome .....congratulations To RickyBobby and Ericquito!! We are so proud of you! Can’t wait to tell you in person. Perseverance pays off in a big way. Looking forward to catching up at the lake.
XOXOXO your aunts and uncles in Chicago
Posted by: Maca-Mangan-Surpless on 5/31/2015 at 6:16 pm
Congratulations Solveig! I can’t wait to see you back in Seattle. Love you lots
Posted by: sigrid on 5/31/2015 at 12:12 pm
May 30, 2015
Friday, May 29th 7:00 pm PDT
We woke early to perfect weather, packed up camp and headed to 17K. We have a good forecast and hope to summit tomorrow. We’ll be in touch as our summit bid progresses.
On The Map
You have been so disciplined and patient. Delighted it has paid off. Go for it and good luck.
Posted by: Art Muir on 5/30/2015 at 9:22 am
May 28, 2015
May 28, 2015 - 10:12 pm PT
The weather played out as forecasted today, with strong winds blowing plumes of snow off of Denali’s summit and West Buttress. We were happy to be down here at the 14,200’ camp where the winds were much more manageable. We enjoyed a leisurely brunch of bacon, eggs, and bagels while the winds howled outside. Much of the rest of the day was spent reading and napping in our tents.
The weather forecast looks good for us. We plan to rise early tomorrow (Friday) and make the strenuous climb to high camp at 17,200’. If all goes well, we’ll shoot for the summit on Saturday. This is by far the best weather forecast that we’ve had all trip and we plan to take full advantage of it. We’re well rested and acclimated, and eager to climb. We’ll let you know how it goes.
RMI Guide Mike Walter & team
Glad to hear that the weather gods are cooperating! We wish you all an excellent summit day and look forward to the photos and stories.
Eric - ¡ Vaya con dios hijo!
Posted by: Sally Maca on 5/30/2015 at 6:17 am
Go get ‘em team! Patience pays off with Mike and Solvieg at the helm! :) enjoy the ride and views. Cheers.
Posted by: Jeff on 5/29/2015 at 6:55 pm
May 28, 2015
May 27, 2015 - 10:38 pm PT
We woke early this morning, ate, took down our tents and packed our backpacks. We even had our harnesses on. The weather was perfect. But after checking multiple weather resources, our decision was clear. Weather models were in agreement, forecasting gale force winds in excess of 65mph tomorrow at high camp. It would not have been prudent to risk going up high today and deal with potential tent-crushing winds tomorrow. So we unpacked and set up our tents anew.
Throughout the emotional swings of this morning, our team has remained resolute. Safety is our number one priority up here in the mountains, and we will try for our summit push after tomorrow’s winds abate. In fact, the forecast looks quite good for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We’re optimistic that we’ll have good shot to move up to high camp on Friday.
In the mean time today, we’re enjoying the best weather day of our whole trip. It’s sunny, calm, and warm here at 14,200’.
Pete Van Deventer’s expedition is up high on the ridge today, caching supplies for their stint at high camp (which will likely coincide with ours). Adam Knoff’s expedition rolled into camp today also, and they’re busy setting up their camp. It’s good to see a lot of friendly RMI climber faces here at camp.
We’ll keep you posted any news from our end.
RMI Guide Mike Walter
On The Map
May 27, 2015
May 26, 2015 - 10:33 pm PT
We woke early again today, hoping for good weather to move up to high camp. But it was not to be. A large lenticular cloud, indicating strong winds, had formed over the top of Denali, extending down beyond high camp. Winds were howling up high until a little afternoon today, when the cloud dissipated for a couple hours and then reformed in the afternoon. The winds were too strong for us to safely move camp to 17,200’, so we rested again at 14,200’.
We took advantage of clear skies on the lower mountain to take a walk out to the “Edge of the World”, a point south of our camp that looks down sheer cliffs about 5,000’ down the the Northeast Fork of the Kahiltna Glacier. The views from the Edge are surreal, and the scale is nearly incomprehensible.
We’re psyched to see what the weather brings tomorrow, and we’re ready to take advantage of good weather when it presents itself. We’ll keep you posted.
RMI Guide Mike Walter and team
On The Map
Glad to see you guys are doing well. Hope to see these sites myself in the next couple of year or so.
Posted by: Kevin Stone on 5/28/2015 at 8:15 am
May 25, 2015
May 25, 2015 - 7:16 pm PT
This morning, hopeful to move to high camp, we awoke early and had breakfast and coffee in the chilly pre-solar hours, watching through dissipating clouds, as the wind whipped along the top of the West Buttress leaving streaks of sublimated snow in its wake.
And so resumed another day of reading, sport eating, and exploring the tangled and winding pathways between the walls of surrounding camps.
We are all crossing our fingers today is our final rest and acclimatization day here at fabulous 14 camp. We are looking forward to getting some exercise of the physical kind…we have been taxing the mental reserves nightly by developing a now customary team activity of Riddles over Dinner, made possible by the greatest boredom banishing App ever, Brain Twister by Will Shortz. Tonight we’ll be starting with puzzle number 47 if you’d like to follow along…but trust us, they’re exponentially harder at 14,200’!
We are packed, prepped, and looking forward to making our move tomorrow morning, if the weather cooperates.
Hopefully instead of practicing patience and unscrambling anagrams, we’ll be establishing camp at 17,200’ and enjoying the ever impressive views from higher on the mountain.
Thanks for following along!
RMI Guide Solveig Waterfall and the team
On The Map
Keeping my fingers crossed you all get a break in the weather and can continue to climb. Stay strong.
Posted by: Magda Higggins on 5/27/2015 at 7:46 pm
Solveig, Your latest blog was very interesting, where you shared how you all preserve your sanity while waiting on the weather at 14,000 ft. Good luck on catching good weather on your way to 17k. with love, Joe & Dianne
Posted by: joe Griffith & Dianne Donovan on 5/26/2015 at 11:46 am